Frequently Asked Questions
Does Habitat give houses away?
- No, Habitat for Humanity is not a giveaway program.
- Habitat’s partner families purchase their houses through affordable monthly mortgage payments.
- Habitat makes no profit on the sale. The mortgage is 0% interest.
How are Habitat’s homeowner families chosen?
Families in need of decent, affordable shelter can apply once per year at application seminar. Our family selection committee chooses Habitat homeowners for their local area, based on three criteria:
- The family’s level of need.
- Their willingness to become partners in the program.
- Their ability to repay the loan through an affordable payment plan.
What is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore?
Habitat for Humanity ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers that sell new and gently used furniture, home accessories, building materials and appliances to the public at a fraction of the retail price. Habitat for Humanity ReStores are proudly owned and operated by local Habitat for Humanity affiliates, and proceeds are used to build homes, community and hope locally and around the world.
Can I donate materials?
Many local Habitat organizations operate ReStores, which sell reusable and surplus building materials, furniture and appliances to the public. To donate materials, contact the Habitat ReStore, 815-580-1205.