Donate Your Car to Habitat!
Do you have an old or unneeded car, truck, boat or other vehicle sitting in your driveway, or taking up space in your garage? Consider donating your car to Habitat for Humanity through Cars for Homes. Not only will you be helping Habitat provide decent, affordable housing, you might be helping the environment as well.
Why Donate Your Car to Habitat?
- One hundred percent of the net proceeds from the sale of your donated vehicle will be used by Habitat for Humanity to build affordable homes in the Rockford Area.
- You may qualify for a tax deduction for donating a vehicle.
- It’s fast and easy. Learn more about how vehicle donations work.
- Thirty percent of cars donated to Habitat are recycled for materials or sold for reusable parts.
- Recycling steel uses less energy and natural resources and produces less carbon pollution.
- Taking an inefficient older car off the road helps save gas and improves air quality.
Did you know that the automobile is the most heavily recycled consumer product?
Each year the steel industry recycles more than 14 million tons of steel from junk cars and end-of-life vehicles. This is equivalent to nearly 13.5 million new automobiles!
Junk cars are typically hauled to auto salvage yards, where reusable car parts are removed along with other items, like batteries, tires and fluids. Recycled automobiles enter the shredding process in which iron and steel are magnetically separated from the other materials and salvaged. Reclaimed iron and steel is shipped to be recycled to produce new steel.
Don’t have a car to donate? Perhaps you have another vehicle, sitting around getting rustier and taking up space in your garage, barn or hangar. Cars for homes also accepts trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, snowmobiles, farm equipment, construction equipment, boats, airplanes.